It’s the new G&T. Except the T isn’t tonic, it’s tea!
It started out as an act of desperation (it sucks when your overpriced on campus grocery store closes at 11), but it’s actually really delicious – and the perfect nightcap too. As I scanned my room for possible mixers, I realized that the only thing I had left were a few bags of Tazo Lemon Maté tea. A quick Google search confirmed that tea and gin is, apparently, a thing. And that was that.
With my Keurig in transit across NYS at the moment, I simply microwaved the water in a large mason jar. Protip: if microwaving a liquid to close-to-boiling, place something microwavable in the water so that it doesn’t boil over / explode. In this case, I just used one of the teabags.
Then all I needed to do was throw some German rock sugar in a few mugs, pour the tea over, stir, and add a small shot of gin. Stir gently, appreciate the awesome sound of the rock sugar crackling, and enjoy.
Ingredients (for three smallish cups)
- Two bags of lemon tea (mine had ginger in it too which was delicious)
- 2 cups of water
- 3 oz. good gin
- German rock sugar, to taste
- Bring the water to an almost-boil; steep tea for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour tea in mugs with or without the rock sugar; stir to dissolve.
- Stir in 1 oz. of gin per glass.